[gst-devel] Re: controlling gst-launch

RAMON_GARCIA_F RAMON_GARCIA_F at terra.es
Thu Aug 21 16:31:02 CEST 2003

In addition to the issue exposed by Joshua N. Pritinkin (I agree with
him), there is another problem. After issuing a stop signal, gst-launch
stops (becaus gst_bin_iterate returns). There should be an option for
avoiding this stop.

The reason why I like signals for this case is that they make the code
quite simple and easy to debug which was my primary goal. But I agree
that a user interface that allows you to type "play" and "stop" would be
better. But this interface can be easily implemented with a wrapper
program, that calls gst-launch and sends signals to it. The final result
is cleaner and simpler than having a user interface inside gst-launch,
because the logic of the user interface is separated from the logic of
driving gstreamer.

Ramon.