[gst-devel] How goes work on a asf/wmv plugin

Christian Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Sat Aug 23 01:11:05 CEST 2003

Hi Lois,
We already have an ASF decoder in CVS head. WMV is also supported in
ffmpeg, but we do need someone to do the work needed to get it hooked
into the GStreamer architecture. As for porting plugins from
Xine/mplayer, well there are multiple reasons why we have not done that,
licensing is one (Xine/mplayer is GPL, GStreamer is LGPL) and most of
the stuff we would want to port from them is stuff from ffmpeg.

ct is/was working on a generic Xine plugin for GStreamer, and afaik that
plugin was pretty far along, but he has been focusing on Lymric lately.
If you are interested in helping him out getting that plugin the last
mile it could be used to give GStreamer support to any format supported
by Xine.

Christian