[gst-devel] Re: [hxplay] Re: Helix Player virtual team meeting

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Sat Dec 13 00:27:01 CET 2003

Matthew Berg wrote:

>3. Gtk has a documentation page which points to a NON-gtk-prefixed
>interface for a basic video widget.

Ok, as a specific example, consider my favourite page, the gtk object
hierarchy:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/ch01.html

I think it would be tough going to convince people that a [Gtk]HXPlayer
widget should appear as a leaf to GtkWidget, because GtkHXPlayer is not
part of the gtk tarball.

Could a media framework be included in gtk? Probably not -- they're big,
there are licensing issues, etc.

But, we could add some sort of gobject-ified video widget base class to gtk.

I think this would make it more likely for developers to use media
widgets in their applications, as they'd be front and centre in the core
documentation. This would be a good thing for us all.

Casual gtk developers would become aware of the presence of the media
widgets -- they'd show up legitimately and pervasively in the core gtk
documentation. Media widgets would appear to be a more main-stream part
of gtk.

>4. The potential developer looks under "Projects" and finds the existing
>entries  gdk-pixbuf loaders for flash (swfdec), or mpeg/avi (GStreamer).
>
>5. The potential developer follows the links to the GNOME project and
>finds GStreamer as an existing part of the desktop platform.
>
>Let's not create a false dichotomy here.  There's no reason why
>something outside the gtk_ namespace can't be linked to off the gtk.org
>page.

I'm arguing that there is a dichotomy between widgets (and widget
interfaces) that are bundled with gtk, and widgets that are not,
regardless of whether or not they are linked to on a related projects page.

If people see GtkMediaPlayer along side GtkLabel and GtkCalendar,
they'll be more likely to use it.

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon at real.com