[gst-devel] FOUND_TAG signal in gstelement.c?

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Sat Dec 13 18:03:01 CET 2003

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> afaik signals get forwarded to parent bins, no ? Did that change or do I
> remember incorrectly ?

Well, you can make the default signal handler emit the signal on the
parent bin, too. Which is what we do for deep_notify, found_tag and the
error signal. It doesn't work by default though.
The problem is that you can only connect to a signal if it is part of the
signals for that class. So if you have a signal that is not implemented by
GstBin, you can't forward it. So GstBin and the actual element emitting it
need to implement it. That's why we put all signals that get forwarded into
GstElement. In the future I'd want to code a mechanism for that, but we're
not there yet.

> > PS: Another thing that should eventually move out of the core is the
> > save_thyself/load_thyself stuff. But it's just not possible yet...
>
> Why does it need to move ?

In my opinion:
It's not a core feature. It's an addition. The core should be simple and
small.
Apart from that we currently limit ourselves to XML. It would be much
nicer if we had a generic save/load framework that got implemented by
backends (I'm dreaming here). That way you could even save your pipelines
to gst-launch syntax or do even weirder stuff.
I just found another such non-core feature: pipeline parsing :)