[gst-devel] plugin loader segfault handler

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Dec 15 04:48:02 CET 2003

Hey,

lately xvid is throwing segfaults at me while loading plugins.  Ronald
said he saw the same.

Anyway, I got fed up with the fact that gst-register segfaults.  This is
the one thing that isn't supposed to segfault :)

So, I implemented a trapper in gstplugin.c, which gets turned on and off
for each plugin around loading.  It's probably not reentrant and
whatever but I don't think that matters much in this case, or is at all
possible.

You can run any app with --gst-enable-segfault to disable this trapper
so you can still debug segfaults on loading when they happen.

But in the general case, it will print out a nice message on what to do
if this happens, and that's the important thing.

If this breaks anything, let me know.  I'm specifically interested in
cases where the filename it prints out for the offending plugin is
garbled.

Thanks
Thomas