[gst-devel] Re: gstreamer gdk-pixbuf plugin

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 10:50:01 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 17:36, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2003, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > (I don't really know what happens with the thumbnail if
> > gdk-pixbuf returns an animation)
> >
> Nothing happens, if you want a pixbuf you get a pixbuf or nothing at all.
> A loader needs special code for pixbufs if it wants to support them.

Why did it try to load my avi it as an animation then?

> > b) Its usable for all sorts of files, not just images/animations.
> >
> I can write a pixbuf loader for .wav, too. Iain might even like it for
> marlin ;)

And a postscript one? and a html one? and a OOo-writer one? I'm sure you
have better things to do. :)

> > c) Its better for system resource usage and performance if nautilus
> > doesn't load every library on the system into the nautilus process, and
> > if the thumbnailer has stability issues you'll not affect the stability
> > of the desktop.
> >
> Are those thumbnails only available in Nautilus? Or do other apps use them
> too when they display an image for a file (like the new filechoser)?

The thumbnail plugins you mean? They are useable for all gnome apps
using the thumbnail api in libgnomeui.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a fiendish hunchbacked senator on a search for his missing sister. She's
a warm-hearted belly-dancing socialite trying to make a difference in a man's
world. They fight crime!