[gst-devel] Re: gstreamer gdk-pixbuf plugin

Federico Mena Quintero federico at ximian.com
Mon Dec 15 12:20:03 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 10:30, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> What I'd like to have an idea about however is how gtk is going to handle
> images/animations/videos in the future. It's so nice to use a video as an
> animation via GtkImage in an about dialog, use a for a busy animation or
> similar...

The GdkPixbufAnimation API is really *not* designed to be used for
video.  It's basically a crude mechanism to cope with abominations such
as animated GIFs. [1]

If you want video-in-a-widget, write a GstVideoWidget that you can use
as a sink for video streams.  I don't know the GStreamer API or even the
right names for the concepts it uses, but you get the idea.

[1] This is not a "GIFs are evil" issue; it is just that GdkPixbuf is
designed for static images, and animations are rather an afterthought.

  Federico