[gst-devel] GStreamer TODO list for GNOME 2.6

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Dec 16 01:44:02 CET 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 16:50, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> volume-applet (gnome-panel)
> Port to GStreamer mixer interface
>
> acme (control-center)
> Port ACME volume control to use GStreamer mixer interface

I'm willing to do either of the two. These would be a very good first
step for new persons interested in Gnome/GStreamer, too. I'll have time
in January/'04, so if either of the two is unfinished by then, I'll work
on that.

> gst-rec
> Get it basically working with CVS head. Not sure about current status,
> but I have a feeling with Ronald schedule this will be mostly post 0.8

I'm basically working on this constantly, but it requires lots of work.
It works, but that's about it. It's not ready for the average Gnome end
user. The TODO file in CVS pretty much lists what needs doing. Note that
some of the tasks listed in the TODO file require work in plugins, too.
It's simply stuff that was never added to plugins because nobody used it
or nobody cared. Think in terms of tagging in video muxers (no single
muxer does that right now), implementation of interfaces in several
plugins, etc. Other tasks are really just HIG-like one-liners that I
don't know how to fix because I'm not a UI-guru. If anyone here is
interested in a GStreamer-based video capture app, I can use some help.
;).

Anyway, I don't have a schedule for gst-rec. It's simply a hobby project
that (as I currently see it) has little chance of getting into Gnome or
Fifth Toe anyway, so I don't see why I'd need to hurry right now. :).

At the same time, I'm also having plans for a DVD transcoder (or
"ripper" as some people would call it). Bastien had similar plans, IIRC.
I'll work on that when gst-rec is good enough. The two do pretty much
the same, so I'm hoping to reuse a lot of code here. I'm hoping that
Bastien (or others) will want to help.

I'm intending to move gst-rec to Gnome CVS at some point and to develop
the DVD transcoder in Gnome CVS, but that's something to worry about
later, not now.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer