[gst-devel] Re: GtkMediaPlayer widget

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Tue Dec 16 15:09:07 CET 2003

Lee Braiden wrote:

>My point is that we don't need to abstract the abstractions.  We should pick a
>good solution, and integrate it 100%.

I see what you're saying, but GtkMediaWidget is not a media framework,
nor even a framework of frameworks. It is a widget interface. I don't
see that arguement applying here.

>If we don't decide on a solution, but
>instead provide abstractions to hedge our bets, all we're doing is adding
>layers of inefficiency.

I am not proposing another layer or abstraction. I do not want to wrap
all the functionality of all the media frameworks.

I want to create a clear, consice, simple media player interface that
media engines could implement. This is not a wrapper. The interface has
no overhead implications.

The dream is that a gtk developer could:
- See in a very visible way that gtk has media widgets (ie - in the core
documentation)
- See a simple interface that makes playing a clip easy without getting
lost in a sea of framework documentation.
- See a link to a guide that shows which media framework is best for a
given application
- See links to implementions of the widget interface, and the advanced
functionality they offer.

Conceptually, this is not like arts vs esound, this is more like
freedesktop.org -- giving focus to an area where we can provide basic
"play/stop/pause" interoperability, making life easier for developers,
and creating a jumping off point for those looking for the right media
engine for their application.

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon at real.com