[gst-devel] Re: GtkMediaPlayer widget

Lee Braiden jel at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 16 15:09:11 CET 2003

On Tuesday 16 Dec 2003 9:11 pm, Ryan Gammon wrote:
> It's still a little early to be claiming GNOME victory ;)

I agree.  But no one did that.  I simply said that gstreamer is already (for
the purposes of this discussion) a part of GNOME.  And, again, I asked what
required Real to have their own player in GNOME instead of just porting their
codecs to gstreamer?

> I could turn this around and say "My only concern is with the repetitive
> nature of gstreamer's work, when helix is already a cross-platform,
> client/producer/server solution. Is there some fundamental problem with
> Helix that prevents linux from using it?"

Quite a few.  But that's irrelevant.  This is a discussion on a GNOME list,
wherein you asked for support of Helix in GNOME.

> (If readers want to argue "licensing", the best place to make it is on
> the licensing at open.helixcommunity.org list, where it'll have the most
> effect).

I think I'll leave it up to the Helix community to discuss their licensing in
their own lists :)

> And, of course, competition is good. It works for Gnome and KDE.

Some say that.  I say co-operation is good.

> >Or is it just that you have another agenda, that doesn't lend
> >itself to porting codecs to GNOME's gstreamer?
>
> Disclaimer: I don't speak for Real. All opinions are my own.
> That said, you say that with such an air of conspiracy ;)

If my knowledge of a company's actions combines with an experience of
commercial companies to lead me to suspicion, then that's one thing.  Lets
not accuse each other of being conspiracy theorists though, please.

> The helix project, IMO, is about getting the open source community
> involved in streaming media technologies

We're already involved, on many fronts, in many projects.

> At the end of the day, helix is an open source project. If you trust us,
> great. If you don't, you don't have to because you have the source under
> the GPL-like RPSL license, or commercially under the RCSL.

Again, I'm suspicious.  And I'll happily admit that my first thought is to
distrust commercial interests.  Let's face it; that's just how most
commercial companies work.  It'd be stupid not to be suspicious.

That's not to say, however, that I feel Helix cannot do anything synergistic
with the Free/Open Source community.  I'm just waiting to hear what that is,
since everything so far seems to be a reinvention of what we already have.

--
Lee.