[gst-devel] Re: GtkMediaPlayer widget

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Tue Dec 16 15:09:13 CET 2003

Ronald Bultje wrote:

> Fundamental widgets are a window, a button, a label, widgets that
> *every* application uses. That's what Gtk+ is supposed to provide. A
> media player widget is important in certain (corner?) cases, but nothing
> close to fundamental.

It's a catch-22. If media widgets were fundamental, maybe they would be
widely used.

Multimedia's not just video -- I think SMIL, in particular, could be a
very useful for doing flashy UI across a variety of applications.

The importance of multimedia in GUI's is only going to grow over time,
and it makes sense to have an interface in gtk in which to express this.

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon at real.com
Developer for Helix Player