[gst-devel] GStreamer needs a maintainer

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Tue Dec 16 18:10:00 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:51:49AM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> El mar, 16-12-2003 a las 04:51, Benjamin Otte escribi??:
> > I need a definitive instance to decide on things. This "we'll argue for a
> > while about it and then everyone does what he wants" doesn't work.
>
> Our problem is that the two authorative figures, Erik and Wim, have
> left.  That leaves us with no real leader figure.  Is that a problem ?
> Maybe.  It's something we need to work out.  Does that mean we just have
> to choose one ? I wouldn't think so, none of us is actually completely
> qualified to do so.  You've argued that Erik and Wim maybe weren't
> either, and you might be right, I don't know.

I'm pretty happy with the way Gstreamer is evolving.  Erik had
some good ideas, but his designs were pretty fuzzy and took
a while to iron out into an implementation.  Wim did a lot
of the ironing, but he was also totally crazy about optimizing
every stupid little thing to the point of missing the big picture.

With the massive improvements of the last year or two, Gstreamer
is finally growing into a stable and useful framework.  There
are still some ancestoral bits which need replacing but,
as far as I am concerned, the new development team is working
wonders.

Keep up the good work guys.  You have the right stuff.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aleader