[gst-devel] GStreamer needs a maintainer

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Dec 17 04:19:07 CET 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> I can answer this one: it doesn't work. I've tried it in the beginning,
> marking every change in the ChangeLog and committing it (this was long
> before I entered GStreamer, so previous projects). The bad thing is that
> *every single commit* by someone else would cause a CVS conflict in the
> ChangeLog file, because I had a bunchload of changes there too. Also, if
> you're working on more than one thing at a time (which is usually the
> case), you have to manually edit the ChangeLog to only commit that
> change that you worked on, and then add the rest of your in-progress
> changes back. It's too much manual work.

Same here. What would be mighty cool though and would make me use a
changelog were if someone wrote a script to replace cvs commit. That
script would automatically update the ChangeLog with the commit message I
use. And it would automatically add ChangeLog to the files committed.
That's a tough thing to get right because of the multiple ways the cvs
command can be used, though I haven't tried.
Another option would be to update the ChangeLog inside the server. That
might be an easier script (I have no clue about cvs internals).
A third option would be to invoke cvs2cl in make dist.
All of them would be great additions.

> Then again, if others do want to use it: be my guest...

This doesn't work.
An incomplete ChangeLog is worse than none at all. People start to rely on
it if it's available.

Benjamin