[gst-devel] GStreamer needs a maintainer

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Dec 17 07:59:04 CET 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 14:18, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > My next question will be wrt. coding style, by the way :)

Oh, man, you don't wanna know what you just started...

My idea: plugins use whatever coding style the author feels like using.
I don't feel like arguing that. Core has one fixed style, and that's
pretty much what's in there right now, or what Company described below.
I use a slightly different style, but that's only different in mere
details.

> - Indent function definitions at function name, argument type and argument
> name. Indent with tab.

I indent using space and tab, and not tab alone. For me, a fuction
definition could thus have an argument at offset=N where N=ER, while for
company, it would be N=ER*8. (ER = any real, whole number).

> - If I break a line, the next line continues with indent 4.

I use tab here.

> - Only use if without brackets if the whole body of the if command is 1
> line long. Always use brackets with "else".

I don't use brackets for else if both are one-liners.

But just as company, my coding style is not fixed yet, it's still
evolving. Compare my current code (mpeg2enc or so) with my first plugins
(v4l, v4l2, sdl) and count the similarities... ;).

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer