[gst-devel] GStreamer needs a maintainer

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Dec 17 13:41:01 CET 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 05:09:21PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> ??
> > Hi,

> > Oh, man, you don't wanna know what you just started...
>
> Oh yes :)
> My main goal is a general consensus that I can run a predefined
> indent command line on any source code file, and commit it.

We already have one -- it's the indent.pro file in the top-level
gstreamer directory.  This is what Wim used.  It doesn't really
reflect what we've traditionally done, however.  I think a better
line is:

  -br -bad -cbi0 -cli2 -bls -l80 -ut -ce -nlp -ci4 -hnl

The problem is that we tend to use a style that is more complicated
than indent can handle.  In particular, indent is really poor at
handling initializers that are lists (and should be lined up as a
table) and things like GST_STATIC_PAD_TEMPLATE(), where we want the
macro arguments to be on separate lines.  Also, I never figured out
how to get indent to prefer

  if (s) g_free (s);

over breaking the line.  (I only prefer this style for really simple
conditional-statements, otherwise I prefer the {} construct.)

Does anyone know of a C/cpp/C++ parser in Perl or Python?  This
would be most convenient, because then we could add rules for
initializers or gst-specific constructs.

dave...