[gst-devel] Entry points for new media hackers

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Dec 19 02:24:01 CET 2003

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 03:32, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Does the mixer stuff autodetect what is present on the machine (ie. OSS
> > or ALSA, as far as ACME on Linux is concerned)?
> > Because if it doesn't, it would actually be a regression. And I don't
> > like regressions ;)
> AFAIK it checks the current output plugin (the one set via GConf) and
> requests a mixer from it. So you end up with a mixer for what you have
> configured, esd, alsa, oss whatever.

No. It autodetects it all. This is why I needed things like
propertyprobe, fixed categories, etc. I can autodetect it *fully* now.
And I have to, because most users don't even know what GConf is, let
alone that they know how to configure it. GStreamer Volume Control works
almost *exactly* the same as Gnome Volume Control, I personally
considered this a requirement to prevent any obvious regressions.
This also means that if you add a new random plugin that implements a
mixer and has the category 'Generic/Audio', it will automatically show
all the mixers it can find in the mixer application.
Of course, for the volume applet, you wouldn't actually show them all,
but you would list the ones available and only show the volume of one of
them, but that's sorta obvious. ;).

> The only thing missing are some of the mixer implementations...

Well, we have ALSA (0.9) and OSS, that's more than ACME,
gnome-volume-applet of gmix ever had. We hope to have a Solaris plugin
some day, too.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer