[gst-devel] [gstreamer] Problem with pulling data from a sink pad

iain iain at prettypeople.org
Tue Dec 23 06:17:02 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 10:00 +0100, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 18:56, Quan Nguyen wrote:
> >  By the way, I may not have been clear before.  What I want to do is
> > to get the raw audio data from a decoder so that I can manipulate it
> > with standard C++ code.  I don't want to have to hook the decoder up
> > to another element.  Thanks.
>
> First a note: this is a *really* bad idea. GStreamer is intended for
> elements that can be used by each application. By using such 'hacks',
> the whole idea of GStreamer has little use.

Why?
This is what Marlin does, well, a more sophisticated version of it.

MarlinSampleSrc and MarlinSampleSink are the two elements marlin uses to
get data into and out of GStreamer pipelines. People have said its a bad
idea before, but I disagree and feel that it is essential in certain
cases (NLE being one of them).

iain