[gst-devel] [gstreamer] Problem with pulling data from a sink pad

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Dec 23 07:15:01 CET 2003

> Why?
> This is what Marlin does, well, a more sophisticated version of it.
>
> MarlinSampleSrc and MarlinSampleSink are the two elements marlin uses to
> get data into and out of GStreamer pipelines. People have said its a bad
> idea before, but I disagree and feel that it is essential in certain
> cases (NLE being one of them).

Name things that you can do with this approach but GStreamer doesn't
allow you to do by design.

If there are valid things, we should consider these problems.  If there
aren't, all functionality that currently accesses raw audio data should
be rewritten as gst plug-ins.

The bottom line is that any code you're writing to process audio outside
of GStreamer is only useful for marlin.  While any code you write using
a plug-in is useful for any gstreamer app.

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
and it looks so pretty
all those tiny bright lights