[gst-devel] [gstreamer] Problem with pulling data from a sink pad

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Dec 23 08:20:00 CET 2003

Hi,

> > Name things that you can do with this approach but GStreamer doesn't
> > allow you to do by design.
> >
> > If there are valid things, we should consider these problems.  If there
> > aren't, all functionality that currently accesses raw audio data should
> > be rewritten as gst plug-ins.
>
> Caching/peak levels

You'll need to be more verbose :) What sort of caching are you doing
that could not be implemented through GStreamer ? Same for peak levels -
I even have plug-ins that do that.

> mmapping huge data to disk so that I can jump around it at will
> without having to send a seek event, run the pipeline to get 2 frames of
> data, send another seek event, run pipeline again...

Again.  What are you doing to jump around at will ? Why could this not
be done through plugins that map streams to temp disk storage ? Sounds
like a useful thing to have in GStreamer for NLE's.

> GStreamer is good for streaming data around a pipeline.
> A pipeline is not the way all data should be handled/manipulated.

I'm not saying it is, but I'm pretty sure there are more things that
marlin claims it can only handle through custom code that could be moved
to plugins.

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
- There it is. Ten thousand dollars. You're not gonna count it?
- Nah.
- You trust me?
- No. But I do kill people.