[gst-devel] Notes about docs/random/negotiation

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Dec 24 07:17:02 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 13:40, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> - Can we deprecate gst_pad_try_set_caps? Every element using this _must_
> have a src_link function knowing about this or renego will definitely
> break. And then, you can simply use gst_pad_renegotiate.

Note that not all plugins need a srclink function. Rather, for most, a
simple srcgetcaps is more than enough (if (sink_negotiated) ... else
return_template_caps).

Assuming gst_pad_renegotiate() does what the name implies, go ahead ...
in 0.9.x please?

> - What's the function call to get the currently negotiated caps of a pad?
[..]
> - Is pad->caps deprecated? If so, can we add a comment in the header?
> - Can someone rework/deprecate the macros - like GST_CAPS_FIXED or
> GST_PAD_CAPS? Or don't we want that?

GST_CAPS_IS_FIXED (I think you mean that?) doesn't exist anymore.
GST_PAD_CAPS needs fixage asap since half of our decoders use it (e.g.
ffmpeg).

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer