[gst-devel] FFmpeg

Mathrick mnews2 at wp.pl
Wed Dec 24 13:33:01 CET 2003

W liście z śro, 24-12-2003, godz. 16:11, Ronald Bultje pisze:
> On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 14:18, Mathrick wrote:
> [..]
> > apparently not everyone is after it. I can't really see the reason for
> > not doing that, so please, if you have some very good rationale for
> > leaving ffmpeg in gst-plugins to continue trashing it, share with us.
> > Otherwise, no vote against counts as vote for it :).
>
> I'm starting to get so horribly fed up with people saying "hey, this
> doesn't work correctly" and then they go redo the whole stuff.
>
> ___IT___ ___DOES___ ___NOT___ ___WORK___!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Was I clear? We say we have an issue with ffmpeg. So let's just fix it!
> Now, back to normal mood for me:

I know it does not work, otherwise I wouldn't bother spamming list. I
have better things to do than smashing keyboard writing posts, for
example I can smash keyboard and hack on something, or just play
solitaire ;)

> If ffmpeg didn't check-out correctly, then the first thing to do is to
> check your network and everything else - I've *never* had issues with
> it. Then, 'make checkout' in gst-libs/ext/ffmpeg/, edit ext/Makefile:

Read above. Make screwed slurping, for whatever reason, and did not say
anything, at least not loud enough. I did *manual* checkout, and it
worked. Don't ask me what's the damned difference, I don't know. But I
know make checkout failed, NOT my network.

> #FFMPEG_DIR = ffmpeg
> FFMPEG_DIR =
>
> becomes
>
> FFMPEG_DIR = ffmpeg
> #FFMPEG_DIR =

As I said, it's ffmpeg that built, but did not install. I don't know
what's the problem here, maybe it's totally unrelated, maybe fresh
gst-plugins co will help. But before that, ffmpeg failed to slurp
*again* for me.

> And you're ready to go. No re-configure needed. You say this is not for
> end users? End users don't compile, end users don't use CVS.

And end users do not discuss modules reorganization.

> Now, over to the Gnome (dev.) people. The main reason seems to be that
> some Gnome people have sucky network connections, too. The problem is
> not that ffmpeg doesn't checkout, but that ffmpeg checks out only half.
> For that, we can simply adapt the .m4 macro to check the return value of
> the 'cvs' command - it will be !0 when failed. Done. I'd suggest them to
> check their network connections too. Or if it really is ffmpeg's server
> vorking (unlikely, since it always works for me), I'd suggest asking
> them to do something about it.

It's not ffmpeg cvs b0rked, it's *our* make doing that's b0rked. I have
no clue why 'cvs co' done by make is different from what I do by hand,
but I know it fails everytime for me. And manual checkouts work.

> Moving ffmpeg out of gst-plugins only makes things worse since ffmpeg is
> extremely important for us. We *depend* on ffmpeg badly. And that's not
> a bad thing. Mplayer does so too, and so does Xine. And any other decent
> media player or framework on Linux/Unix. The ffmpeg people have a great
> collection of opensource codecs. This *needs* to be part of our main
> gst-plugins tarball. And I want to be able to update it with one single
> 'make checkout' and (sometimes) a small addition (to _SOURCES) in
> Makefile.am.

And since it's so crucial, it may be worthy to do separate module from
it, make sure it builds reliably, and then use policy "it works - don't
touch". And then give people detailed instructions for ffmpeg, and maybe
notice of possible pitfalls. If Thomas wants it that way, because it
will help him assure buildability - why not? He's the auto* guy.

> Given that I maintain the ffmpeg plugins I'd like a vote in this too. I
> **like** how it works now. Don't break it. Don't. Just don't.

I'd like it **if** it worked. But it does not. Not for me, not for many
other people.

> And general: let's stop redoing things, guys. Instead, let's fix things.
> We want to be ready for Gnome-2.6 in March. And we're not. We're far
> from it. Let's start fixing *that*. I want gst-player to play the movies
> I throw at it. I want rhythmbox to actually do metadata editing and to
> play back my broken mp3s that I ripped using sound-juicer (created with
> our lame plugin, which no doubt broke too at some point). I'll help the
> beep people porting it to GStreamer. I want to record movies with
> gst-rec. I want to transcode, edit, everything. With current HEAD/CVS,
> none of this works. I don't want to fix ffcolorspace again tomorrow.
> Let's fix this first.

I don't insist on doing it right away, but I don't also see any inherent
reason for not doing that eventually. Even if it won't allow me to
forget about manually checking ffmpeg, but instead will reduce it to
every other gst build, I'm all for it. I'm just being pragmatic here.

Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"
   Maciej Katafiasz <mnews2 at wp.pl>