[gst-devel] Video-editing (Gnonlin, Piave, etc..)

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 06:54:04 CET 2003

On Sunday 28 December 2003 12:11, Ploum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to help in a non-linear video editing tool. So I've joined the
> PupuEdit project.
>
> But a lot of work must be done in gstreamer.
>
> I'v see Gnolin, but also Piave and Smil.

I'm the developer of Kdenlive, a KDE-based video editor that uses piave as
it's back-end. I have forwarded your message to Rolf, the developer of piave.

> http://modesto.sourceforge.net/piave/index.html
> http://www.gstreamer.net/docs/current/manual/html/ch24.html
>
> As Gstreamer support XML, do you think that it's a good idea to
> implement and extend the Piave language with Gstreamer ?

If you definitely want to write your own video editing backend, then using the
same XML language as piave is quite a good  idea, and taking it even further,
if you could support the same client/server architecture as Kdenlive/piave do
when used together your backend could be used by Kdenlive as well ;-)

However, be warned that the scenelist description used by Kdenlive/piave is
not set in stone - we are considering making it a little more smil-like in
the near future (I am thinking that version 0.3 is around the time to do that
though; we are current preparing to release 0.2.4).

An alternative you may want to consider is to work on piave and extend it to,
for instance, support gstreamer plugins and effects. Piave can be used either
standalone, in a client/server architecture (as kdenlive uses it), or it can
be used as a library, so you could integrate it with PupuEdit anyway you
like.

> We can maybe ask the Piave developper to work with us, I really think
> that it's a good way.
>
> We need to centralize all ressource about video editing. But we have
> already some work done by Piave, we have parts of Gnolin, etc..

Is gnonlin still actively developed?

> So, where must I go to do useful work ?
> What's your opinion about that ?

Being part of the Kdenlive/piave team, I'll be biased and say work on
piave ;-)

> I hear on that list that a french team is also working on this...
>
> Well, what are you thinking about that ?

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood