[gst-devel] Gnolin status

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at cogeco.ca
Sat Feb 8 15:36:02 CET 2003

Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 05:46:39PM -0500, Andreas Schiffler wrote:
>

>>I (new to the list) wanted to check in with the list on the status of
>>Gnolin. I've just got gstreamer compiled and working - but really need
>>some "gnolin" functionality on top of gstreamem.
>>
>>In particular I need to automatically assemble various clips into a new
>>stream with fades between the clips. Pretty much exactly what Gnolin
>>advertises to be able to do. Any ideas if this is possible with the
>>current code - if not, what needs to be done? (ie. where should I start
>>coding?) Are there other packages/plugins that might give me some
>>non-linear editing functions.
>>
>>Another thing that I'd like to be able to do is "bluescreening" one
>>video behind another as backdrop. Also I am looking for ways of mixing
>>in static images (for text and logo overlays).
>>

>You can wait 2-3 years until Gnolin is implemented and stable
>or you can use Cinelerra now.  Cinelerra is the only software
>i've found (free OR comercial) that is stable enough for
>video editing.

I've look at cinelerra, but couldn't figure if it could do what I need
to do: non-linear editing using scripts only.

The thing is, that I have a bunch of DV captures (AVIs) and need to
assemble them with wipes between and some bluescreening in the
background. But the assembly process is supposed to run completely
unattended (i.e automatic) and be fully controlled by a script that is
created on the fly.

So if someone knows if it is possible or how to "remote-control"
cinelerra with simple text file - that's what I'd need. It seems to me
that it should be possible as there is this multi-server option for
rendering-acceleration build in.

Cheers
Andreas