[gst-devel] Re: gst-player and hermes

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Feb 25 02:55:02 CET 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> My personal opinion is that we shouldn't try to cater for the 0.01% that
> compiles from source (do you have good reason to do so ?).
> Especially now with something like gentoo, I don't see any point at all in
> doing everything by hand.

I just couldn't leave that statement standing there alone. Let me assure
you I'll file anything I consider a bug on my LFS system that doesn't
work.
As for the reason to do so: I have to care for one layer less (the
packet manager) and I'm in direct control of every install. I can even
decide myself which configure options to use. That's a great thing. I
never have to fear that installing something from CVS breaks my RPM
database. I had an official GNOME2 install before the Debian guys
even knew that GNOME2 existed. There are a myriad of other reasons, but
I'll stop here.
Oh, and Gentoo is just another packet manager that happens to distribute
an equivalent of SRPMs. It's only another (though thinner) form of that
additional layer.

> > Hermes is not really
> > a core application on linux systems and thus should not be a core
> > dependency for gst-player.

That's the point where he is wrong. Hermes is a core dependency of the
player. It might be possible (but most probably useless) to make it an
optional dependecy.
But since nobody cares it would be his job to do that if he wants it. Or
he could pay me, it shouldn't be too difficult to do (some defines and
configure hacking should be enough) :)
Another good thing would be to file a feature request on bugzilla. (Though
that wouldn't be as fast).

Just out of interest: Xine and Mplayer include their own colorspace stuff?
Or Do they just hope that the video formats are supported by XVideo?

One of 20.000 GStreamer users°),
Benjamin

°) 0.01% compile from source, 2 of those use GStreamer, do the math :)