[gst-devel] Conversion Tool from DivX3/4 to MPEG4 ISO, both based on Windows and Linux - paid job offer from Neuston !!!

Christian HJ Wiesner christianhjw at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 6 00:30:04 CET 2003

Hi guys,

i am in contact with Tan Ju Hian, the assistant sales Director of
neuston ( http://neuston.com ). Similar to KiSS with their DP450 unit
they are about to launch a DivX compatible hardware standalone player (
http://neuston.com/dvx_1201.asp and http://neuston.com/dvx_1307.asp )
and i am talking to them about the potential problems to be exptected
with AVI as container. They are investigating if alternative containers
such as MP4, OGM or maybe even matroska could be used as AVI replacement
and therefore want to include a conversion software tool to help
customers with AVIs that play without sync, as they fear the impact on
their service departments if playback problems with AVI files will occur
( and these are very likely to happen as you know ).

I am trying to convince them that such a tool should be based on the GPL
and sources be distributed with the CD, as it could use many existing
code, making the job a lot easier.

Tan Ju said in his last email to me :

[quote]
Your ideas and concepts seem like good ones and make a lot of sense. The
inclusion of a 'conversion tool' being bundled with the player seems
like almost a necessity as unfortunately, there is no hardware available
whereby it can support DivX 4 and below on a stand alone piece of
equipment. Software that can convert any .avi to work with the DVX-1201.

I would be more than appreciative with any more ideas and people I can
get in touch with in regards to the conversion tool. I admire your
passion and knowledge in the field, especially since it is a hobby of yours!

Kind regards,
Yu Hian

Tan Yu Hian
Asst. Director, Global Sales
neuston corporation
41 Science Park #04-07/7A
The Gemini Science Park II
Singapore 117610
Tel :  (+65) 68733312
Fax : (+65) 68733304
Mobile : (+65) 98750846
E-mail : yuey at neuston.com
[/quote]

Main job was :

- parse AVI files
- read DivX3/Angelpotion/SMR/MPEG4V3 and convert to MPEG4ISO
- detect VBR MP3 and/or AC3 audio
- send out warning signals about VBR audio not being AVI specs
compliant, also potential AC3 audio probs ( cut in frames by nandub )
- convert file into a new AVI that can be read by player in sync in any
case, i.e. is compatible with players AVI parser
- probably convert file into another container supported by Neuston
player ( much later -- 2nd step ), preferably MP4

If anybody feels like he could take such a job, drop me a mail to
christianhjw at users dot sourceforge dot net .

Best regards

Christian HJ Wiesner