[gst-devel] API changes
mark at skynet.ie
Tue Jan 7 03:28:03 CET 2003
So the following change:
date: 2002/12/30 17:42:10; author: wtay; state: Exp; lines: +14 -39
- major API breakage (one of the last, I promise...)
- GST_PAD_QUERY -> GST_QUERY
- GstPadQuery -> GstQuery
- Move query definitions to gstquery.h to allow for future dynamic
- remove _pad_handles_* in favour of extra format/event functions to
make the same checks.
- fix elements
- Implemented missing query/event/formats functions in gstelement
broke API compatibility and caused the gnome-media build to break.
I understand gstreamer is new to the GNOME release process, so problems
like this are understandable, but I thought we should point out that:
1) Although API changes for "non-platform" libraries are allowed,
they are highly discouraged.
2) If an API change is made every effort should be made to make
sure that the required fixage upstream is done in a timely manner.
3) At this stage in the game (i.e. so close to a release) API
changes should really, really not be made.
Anyway, I hope this is taken on board - we really want the release
process to go smoothly and ultimately being more disciplined about API
changes coming up to a release should ensure a more stable release ...
Keep up the good work guys :-)
More information about the gstreamer-devel