[gst-devel] Gst-Player discussion

Julien MOUTTE jmoutte at electronic-group.com
Wed Jan 15 02:40:02 CET 2003

Hi all,

After being flamed for discussing this on irc here comes a mail on the ML to discuss about my thoughts...

I ve been working recoding the GstVideoWidget used by Gst-Player to avoid using gtk_socket which has some issues in event handling and versions of gtk. I am almost done with that stuff.

I am a bit confused with that player here are the points :

a) the control bar has changed, stop button disappeared. why ?
b) Preferences to configure stuff have been commented out. why ?
c) the libgstmediaplay contains thousands of code lines that are never used. why ?

If we plan to go into gnome, we will have to deal with HIG/Usability people...

I think it would be definitely a good idea that someone tells me where are the mockup defining what gst-player has to be when in gnome, so that we can look at the code and maybe make it cleaner/stable/lighter, etc...

If this analysis does not exists, it would be another good idea to get everybody's input and make one. I mean if prefs will never be used why keeping a widget in the lib for it and commenting lines everywhere...

Don't misunderstand me...

I m not the nth guy coming saying we have to rebuild from scratch that player, i just want to point out that i don't know where we go with that player and when i ask to people they don't know neither...

Please react on this as my opinion is that this player will be one of the front marketing of gstreamer in gnome... if this player sucks people will think Gstreamer sucks...

Cheers

Dolphy

Julien MOUTTE - jmoutte at electronic-group.com
C.T.O.

ELECTRONIC GROUP INTERACTIVE - www.electronic-group.com
World Trade Center, Moll de BARCELONA
Edificio Norte 4 Planta
08039 BARCELONA SPAIN
Tel : +34 93600 23 23 Fax : +34 93600 23 10