[gst-devel] gst-player ui required changes

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Thu Jan 16 01:13:06 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 09:12, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2003, Steve Baker wrote:
>
> > > - get rid of stop
> > Done! Its software, not hardware. There are no heads or motors to wear
> > out, and no batteries to run down by being in pause forever.
>
> OK, this is bogus.  Hardware issues have nothing to do with user
> interface.  Why are we creating a new interface when everyone and their
> dog is going to be vastly more comfortable with an interface they
> literally grew up with?  Just because that interface originated in
> hardware limitations does not mean that it is inherently flawed, nor does
> it give us license to arbitrarily change and cease to match what our
> *user* expect.

I do concede that there needs to be a button that does "pause and go
back to the start of the file". If we don't get a playlist soon (and
hence a back button) then we might need stop.

However, there is a precedent here - the quicktime player has no stop
button and somehow the users still knew what to do with it.

This hardware analogy does annoy me though - here are 2 examples which I
come across the most:
1) video players with controls at the bottom. If this was a real piece
of hardware then it makes sense because thats where my thumbs are and I
don't obscure the screen with my hand when I push a button. However with
software it causes a problem when I click play and then my play button
(and everything else) shoots to a different part of the screen because
the video widget resizes.

2) back and forward buttons |<  >| look an awful like ff and rew buttons
<< >>. Many years ago you could buy tape players with the buttons layed
out something like this:
<<  >  ||  []  >>
So what does winamp/xmms do (and many blindly copy)?
Even though any cd walkman will group the forward and back buttons
together like this

My only point to this little rant is that software lets us design a
better ui without the constraints of the real world. And hardware
designers are always redesigning there UIs whenever technology allows
them to make a better one.

--
Steve Baker <steve at stevebaker.org>