[gst-devel] gst-player ui required changes

Pedro Côrte-Real typo at netcabo.pt
Thu Jan 16 13:40:09 CET 2003

On 16 Jan 2003 09:49:50 +0000
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 09:08, Paul Flood wrote:
> > I'm no code guru, but <stop> and <pause> have very different
> > behaviors in my experience.  When I press <pause> I expect the media
> > to hold its place and wait for me to <resume> (or play) and pick up
> > where I left off.  When I press <stop> I expect the media to reset
> > back to the begining of the disc and wait for me to start it over
> > again.
> >
> > As a simple user I readily expect my media player to have a stop
> > button.  I anticipate most users to expect a media player to have a
> > stop button.  It's one of the basic functions.  Whether or not it is
> > needed/required/different/redundant/stupid doesn't really matter.
> > This is a user interface right?  The users will expect and want a
> > stop button.  We are building this for them , right?  Personally, I
> > would think any player without a stop button would be lame and I
> > wouldn't use it.
>
> Well, I got asked for stop buttons in Totem for a couple of weeks
> after the first release, but I don't get asked that anymore. What the
> heck is the Stop button used for anyway ?

Funny you should ask this since I was evaluating totem today and was
going to file a bug report. If you play a DVD in totem, the only way to
actually STOP the damn thing is to remove it from the playlist. This
wasn't intuitive at all. The original mail mentioned:

>>> Its software, not hardware. There are no heads or motors to wear
>>> out, and no batteries to run down by being in pause forever.

This is wrong in this case. The DVD drive does have a motor, and if I'm
in a laptop a battery to drain. If I don't actually want to remove the
DVD from my playlist I have to remove it and reinsert it but not play
it. A bug in my eyes.

Pedro.