[gst-devel] Overhead of 1-to-1 `tee' elements

Leif Johnson leif at ambient.2y.net
Wed Jan 22 02:51:03 CET 2003

Hi Lars -

As far as I understand it (which is very little, so beware)
an additional element in the pipeline just adds one more
element to the scheduler, and a 1-1 tee element should be
fairly fast ; in the 1-1 case the tee would just copy each
incoming buffer to a single output buffer.

For the second part, it depends on how you want to use your
pipeline. If you want to be able to add and remove elements
to the tee *while the pipeline is playing* (i.e. by pausing
just the tee element for a very brief time, then
adding/removing the element and setting the tee to play
again) then you'd always need a tee element in your
pipeline. If you want to add or remove elements from the tee
while the whole pipeline is stopped, then you could leave
the tee out entirely when you don't need it. Hope this
helps.

leif

Leif Morgan Johnson . http://ambient.2y.net/leif/
IAESTE trainee      . http://www.iaeste.org/