[gst-devel] Re: First release of MAS available

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller Uraeus at linuxrising.org
Fri Jan 24 14:54:02 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 18:33, Guenter Bartsch wrote:

> thanks for clarifying this. as you might know i'm working on xine which
> tries to stay as independant of desktops as possible (while integrating
> with them where possible) and i think gnome has a reputation of
> supporting non-gnome applications well so i guess it would be a nice
> step if gnome would recommend running mas so non-gnome applications
> still have a solid basis (if mas is solid, not sure yet) for audio
> output

Well not sure you gain by extreme independence, there is some truth to
the saying that if you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no
one. GStreamer has always tried to integrate ourselves with the desktop
environments  instead, and is shipping with GNOME 2.2 and have KDE
bindings available with a hope of being an integral part of KDE too at
some point.

Anyway if GNOME says 'use MAS' or 'use GStreamer' shouldn't make a big
difference for Xine I think. Making a xine plugin that outputs to
GStreamer should be rather simple. Alternatly so could you just read the
GStreamer GConf keys and make sure Xine uses the same output as
GStreamer based apps under GNOME.

Christian
--
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus at linuxrising.org>