[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] omegahacker gstreamer: gstreamer/gst/

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Jan 31 02:28:02 CET 2003

Hey Erik,

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 09:28, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> JZW did have a valid point about programs spewing all kinds of both errors
> and "status" information that's totally irrelevant.  In that sense we
> should consider whether even the initializer INFO lines should ever be
> displayed.  I thought once upon a time I had tweaked the debug system to
> show nothing unless it was requested, apparently that didn't stick.
> Things like '0 live buffer(s)' are certainly not things users need or want
> to see.

Normal people (the ones who have a desktop and icons on it, maybe even
start menu items) don't see the debugging output anyway. Leave it for
now, if we have too much free time we might fix it when 1.0 gets close.

More elements spew out such info, though. v4l*/v4l2* tell about device
openings and buffer settings... Many elements use g_warning() where
gst_element_error() or just GST_DEBUG() might be more appropriate.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer