[gst-devel] gstreamer cleanup

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jul 3 04:52:20 CEST 2003

On 2 Jul 2003, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Well, the code, yes. External libraries that we "host" inside our tree
> are "preferrably" LGPL, and should be moved to gst-libs/ext/<name>/,
> imo. This goes for modplug, monkeyaudio (if we keep that one at all),
> and loads of others that are currently forked into our tree unnicely.

External libraries that we host MUST be at least GPL compatible or go into
a different module. That is to allow distributions to easily build source
RPMs from the tarballs without thinking about what to remove.
I'd prefer if it where LGPL compatible though.

That said modplug is public domain and can easily stay where it is (in
gst/modplug/modplug), ffmpeg is LGPL and is ok, too. monkeyaudio is
proprietary and may not even be shipped by us. So it needs to be removed
to somewhere else.

So I think we are currently absolutely LGPL if we get licenses for our
code straightened, which we should do right now, because we're touching
loads of plugins anyway.

Benjamin