[gst-devel] gstreamer cleanup

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Jul 3 08:28:44 CEST 2003

Hey Thomas,

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 15:49, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> I think we should also move out all code/plugins that *might* be
> encumbered.  FFmpeg is one of them, I'm not sure about monkeyaudio but it
> might be too due to the weird license.  I think our core gst-plugins
> should only contain undisputably unencumbered stuff.

I think we shouldn't care too much. "Might" is too open, imo. We should
care about licenses (since that can actually hurt us) and provide a
package that is fully GPL+LGPL+BSD licensed.

Patents? Each country has different ideas and different ways of
interpreting this term. It's too simple to just let it go because "some"
country in the world "might" be bothered by companies that deliver that
"sort of" code to their customers. Does it hurt *us*? That's the
important question, imo.

If distributors want to make a unencumbered version, let's have them do
that. But that shouldn't be our job. We can help them, but it'd hurt us
more to go with them than to just let them do their own stuff and
provide a fully-featured but cleanly-licensed package ourselves.

But that's just my opinion a raison de €0.02. ;).

Ronald