[gst-devel] gstreamer legal patch

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Jul 24 04:21:38 CEST 2003

Hey Brian,

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 12:04, Brian Cameron wrote:
> +  I have talked with Wtay and he agrees that gstreamer/libs/gst/putbits
>    should be removed from the gstreamer core.  It has a nasty MPEG
>    license which is inappropriate for the core module.  He hightlights
>    that mpegaudio and mpeg2enc both use the putbits library and will
>    not work when the support lib is removed...so perhaps the support
>    library needs to be moved to gst-plugins?  This cleanup task would
>    make it much easier for Sun to ship the gstreamer core.

We can write that ourselves, can't we? I mean, it's not like a
putbits/getbits lib is hard to write or anything. Or we could use
ffmpeg's code, which is GPL or LGPL, too.

And well, license-wise, it shouldn't be in the core. Not at all. But
it's a generic reader lib, so I think it belongs there nevertheless.
Just like bytestream.

As long as it doesn't exist, I agree it needs to be moved into
gst-plugins, anything non-LGPL definately doesn't belong in the core.

Apart from that, wonderful work! Thanks! :).

Ronald