[gst-devel] gstreamer legal patch

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jul 28 08:12:10 CEST 2003

The license field is supposed to tell you the license of the .so you are
linking against. The ultimate goal is to figure out if you may load the plugin
and link your application against it in the plugin loader and refuse to load
wrongly licensed plugins. So this means you need to specify a license in the
license field that satifies the requirements of all code and libs you link to.
mad will therefore report "GPL" (because libmad is GPL), plugins linking to BSD
code (like vorbis) will report "LGPL" (because the plugin code is LGPL) and so
on.

And the other thing which Brian already said: It's our goal to make the code of
the core and the plugins (the modules gstreamer and gst-plugins) completely
LGPL. This simply means that every file that is included in our tarballs and
has a license header has the LGPL header. AFAIK this is a requirement for the
core already (and the reason for killing putbits) and is under investigation
for the plugins.

Benjamin