[gst-devel] Ogg and GStreamer

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Jul 31 04:12:02 CEST 2003

Hey Benjamin,

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 12:55, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
[..]
> - get this value when encoding in oggmux?
> - use gst_pad_query for encoding

No, won't work. Keep in mind that "our" definition of frame in a format
might be different from Ogg's definition of "frame". So either way,
oggmux will have to deliver all this itself. No matter how gruesome
that'll be. We can adapt GStreamer to suit their needs, we can't change
GStreamer to work as prescribed by them. That's insane.

> - store this value when decoding in oggdemux?
> - discard the value when decoding

Discarding is never a good idea, but since it doesn't seem to provide
much more info than, say, mpeg, I guess we don't have much of a choice.

> That's why I was asking for addition of a field inside the buffer struct for
> the frames/length combination.

Sounds reasonable, and might be needed for encoding. However, for
decoding, it won't actually solve the issue, it'll only make it worse,
since you actually need to fill in *more* fields that you might not know
(and thus have to retieve using evil hacks or extra elements). So in
turn of making muxing simpler, you're also making demuxing harder.
Please don't forget that. :).

Ronald