[gst-devel] debugging system rewrite

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Jun 9 22:18:13 CEST 2003

Hey Benjamin,

pretty cool! I hope it'll work just as it sounds here. I'll have a
closer look in a few days when I get back from company courses.

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 04:13, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Added GST_ERROR, GST_WARNING and GST_LOG to the already existing
> GST_DEBUG and GST_INFO as well as specified in what situation each of
> these levels should be used.

Why warning/error? Isn't the goal of debug to be really a *debug* thing,
so anything that would normally not be interesting to the user? It seems
to be that for warnings, you'd want to let the user (read: programmer)
know about it, so he can fix it instantly. g_warning() seems a good way
to do this (or g_return_if_fail()), both for programmer errors. For
user-related warnings, GST_WARNING might be interesting, though. For
errors, we mostly use gst_element_error() for user errors, so the
application can take proper measures, or g_error() in case of
programming errors.

Anyway, question being: do we really need a GST_ERROR/WARNING category?
What's wrong with g_error()/g_warning() (programming errors) or
gst_element_error() (user error)?

No more comments, sounds good to me. ;).

Ronald