[gst-devel] /usr/bin/ld: canot find -lmad

rolf rolf at deenenco.tmfweb.nl
Thu Jun 19 13:42:09 CEST 2003

Fellow earthlings,

Trying to install gstreamer-plugins-0.6.1 but it doesn't give me mp3
support. Got "mad" installed in /opt/gnome2 as adviced in the rhythmbox
installation-guide (Since I want net-rhythmbox to go there and the
guide advices to install all rhythmbox related items: mad, gstreamer
and gst-plugins in the same directory. Oh, and /opt/gnome2/lib is in my
/etc/ld.so.conf and i did run ldconfig ). The program "madplay" plays
mp3's, so it seems I installed it correctly, but after running
"./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome2 --enable-mad=yes" this is what it
says in config.log:

configure:21859: checking for mad_decoder_finish in -lmad
configure:21890: gcc -o conftest -O3 -march=k6-2   conftest.c
-lmad   >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmad

Has anybody got an idea what the problem can be? I'm no programmer
myself (all though I try php and perl sometimes ;-) ) and I do not
exactly know what "ld" does and why it cannot find -lmad.

Greetings,

Rolf Deenen

PS:
I've been fiddling around a bit and tried the following (which doesn't
work by te way):
ld -h mad /opt/gnome2/lib/libmad.so.0.1.0
Which responds as follows:
ld: warning: cannot fin entry symbol_start; not setting start address

I've no idea whether it's relevant, perheps do you ;-) .