[gst-devel] plugins cleanup

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sat Jun 21 13:33:04 CEST 2003

Hey all,

me again. ;).

Our gst-plugins need some heavy cleanup. Here's a list that I came up
with yesterday night:

Can be removed:
* xmms (depends on glib-1.2, will never work)
* avifile (we've got ffmpeg, avifile is dead)
* openquicktime (we've got qtdemux and ffmpeg, openquicktime is dead)
* stereo2mono/mono2stereo/int2float/float2int (we've got audioconvert)
* hermes (we should use lcs, we probably want to slurp that like we do
          for ffmpeg now, too... Either way, using hermes for this
          isn't a good idea - this is what we've got lcs for)
* mjpegtools (jpeg does the same, make it use on libjpegmmx
              instead. This will take some autoconf magic that I'll
              take care of, but using mjpegtools completely is insane)
* modplug (we've got mikmod, which company is willing to maintain)
* vga (unmaintained, not-working, has never worked, probably never
       will. Creating a fbdevsink is probably a better idea anyway)
* videosink (we've got xvideosink)
* aviaudiodecoder (useless, we've got ffmpeg anyway)
* monkeymedia (licensing issues, see benjamin's comments earlier)

Some more stuff that I'd love to change, while I'm doing it anyway
* wavparse/enc goes in same dir (gst/wav/)

Comments? I've just put up this whole list, some people will want to
prevent me from doing some things, this is just a proposal, not a final
decision or anything, so just flame me down if you disagree (with
arguments, please). The reason for removing anything is that it heavily
simplifies maintainance and will reduce the number of bugreports on
things like non-compiling or otherwise weird issues (i.e. avifile, for
some people, takes preference before ffmpeg, causing really weird issues
because it *is* unmaintained and nobody ever checks this).

Ronald