[gst-devel] plugins cleanup

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Sun Jun 22 18:04:03 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:22:11AM +0200, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2003, Ronald Bultje wrote:
>
> > Can be removed:
> > * hermes (we should use lcs, we probably want to slurp that like we do
> >           for ffmpeg now, too... Either way, using hermes for this
> >           isn't a good idea - this is what we've got lcs for)
> > * mjpegtools (jpeg does the same, make it use on libjpegmmx
> >               instead. This will take some autoconf magic that I'll
> >               take care of, but using mjpegtools completely is insane)
> > * modplug (we've got mikmod, which company is willing to maintain)
> >
> Please do only remove plugins that are non-working and unmaintained.
> Hermes works (and even is maintained, no?), modplug supports features
> mikmod doesn't and probably can't with the sorry state of libmikmod
> (seeking and multiple elements come to mind) and I'd guess mjpeg supports
> stuff jpeg doesn't support, too (though I have no idea in that area).

I'm in favor of removing plugins nobody cares about and are broken.
Some of them haven't been updated in so long, it would be smarter
to simply rewrite them if the need arises.

Removing Hermes, etc., is more of a strategic choice of direction:
we commit to working toward removing them and avoid spending
significant effort in maintaining them.  I don't think that any
of the plugins mentioned is particularly time-consuming in terms
of maintenence, though.  And Hermes is one of the few libraries
we depend on that isn't a moving target.

btw, it's time to dump ext/openquicktime, too.

dave...