[gst-devel] Application Development Manual and xvideosink module

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Jun 27 07:37:16 CEST 2003

Hey Yann,

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 14:33, Yann Klis wrote:
> In the Application Development Manual, there is no mention about how to handle
> output on xwindow using xvideosink. I guess that it's because gstreamer
> doesn't depend on any X toolkit, but is there any how-to on developping a
> gnome app using gstreamer ? I mean, where can I find any information about how
> to put the output of xvideosink in a gtk window for example ?

The bacon video widget, basically. What xvideosink does is to emit a
signal when it has created a XWindow. The app (i.e. the widget) is then
responsible for embedding this window inside the GtkWindow, which is
exactly what bacon video widget does.

> I'm not an experienced developper, but I briefly fly over totem code and maybe
> the files gstvideowidget.c and bacon-video-widget.c are designed to handle
> this kind of problem. Are they designed to be re-usable in another
> gstreamer/gnome app ? Does such a library which ease developping gstreamer
> gnome app exist already ?

libgstplay? The bacon video widget is supposed to be reusable in other
apps, too. Totem and gst-player share it.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer