[gst-devel] Fwd: Re: [UCI-Devel] Re: Common Opensource codec API

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Sun Jun 29 13:10:03 CEST 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Cyrius wrote:
> I was working with this kind of design before, but
> nobody seemed interested in doing it. Basicly the
> language of the API layer is immaterial, what
> matters is the messages and data getting passed
> through it (my system used a message/struct 2
> parameter function for everything). If you set up
> all the data as XML-like structs with messages that
> tell you what you're expecting to see I think it can
> be done language and platform independant at the
> same time. Yes there will be some bloat from the ID
> overhead, but as long as you're passing frames and
> not say, individual pixels, it should be ok. There's
> no reason you can't pass video frames, config info,
> etc basicly as XML documents through an API designed
> to handle them.

So we basically wrap this in CORBA then? ;)

Seriously: We need a simple little set of functions that a plugin needs to
implement. If it is not dead simple, nobody will implement it.
That was the important part: If it is not dead simple, nobody will
implement it. And that goes for apps _and_ plugins.

Benjamin