[gst-devel] audio/raw float caps format

Leif Johnson leif at ambient.2y.net
Mon Jun 30 10:21:16 CEST 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Leif Johnson wrote:
>
> > No objections here ; I was just using the values from the audioconvert
> > plugin.
> >
> audioconvert doesn't do more than 2 channel audio, because I have no idea
> what 3 channels mean and how audioconvert should mix them.

(I'm thinking of three channels as perhaps a left speaker, a right speaker,
and a subwoofer. Just an example though.)

The audioconvert plugin changes stereo to mono by averaging, right ? And
mono to stereo conversion is just duplication ? Seems like any other
methods would be less generally useful and require an app to use a
mixmatrix for proper mixing of different channels.

But if we extend that to multiple channels, I don't see why the
audioconvert plugin couldn't do a simple average of N interleaved input
channels to one output channel, and be able to duplicate one input channel
to N interleaved output channels. Again, if the app requires more precise
control over the mixing levels, it should use a mixmatrix. Thoughts ?

leif

--
Leif Morgan Johnson : http://ambient.2y.net/leif/