[gst-devel] Re: Streaming video and the 'queue' plugin

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Wed Mar 12 10:54:11 CET 2003

Martin Janzen wrote:
> I'm building an MPEG-2 transport stream viewer process which receives
> input from a file or a UDP source, and displays the resulting video
> on an Xv-capable X server.  The GStreamer platform seems ideal for
> this; and so far, things have gone reasonably well.  I now have a
> plugin which extracts a PID from the MPEG-2 TS and decodes TS and PES
> headers, and am driving it from an application that creates a pipeline
> equivalent to:

Martin, if you are ever feeling seriously bored one day, could you
please consider to join our team :) ?

We are creating a new, open standard multimedia container and are aiming
to be able to support *ALL* existing audio and video codecs one day,
including MPEG1/2/4 video, Vorbis audio, FLAC, musepack, h.264 ( thats
tricky ), Monkey audio, etc ... .
Richt now our existing Linux based muxer called 'mkvmerger' supports
MPEG4 video
AC3
MP3
Vorbis
and in principal all VfW codecs ( in our so called 'AVI/VfW
compatibility mode' )
Unfortunately, for playback we still have to use a mplayer patch ( /me
blushes and hides .... )

Generally speaking, if we succeed in supporting all video/audio/subtitle
formats ( one day in far future ;) ) you'd have a general use container
format allowing you to stream *ANY* media file you could think of, not
only those you can use with MPEG2 streams. matroska has a couple of nice
options allowing to add ECC ( FEC ) elements to the file itself in a
very flexible way, and we also have a pretty good draft how to handle
the RTSP payload ( whatever this is ) for UDP based streaming.

There are 2 people looking into creating a simple streaming server
solution for matroska already, and recently some Videolan folks
subscribed to our lists and were loading the main library ( libmatroska,
C++ ), so maybe we can expect simple LAN streaming, but based on UDP,
from VLC ( yes, the client, not VLS ) somewhen.

However, if you could consider helping us on this huge task you are more
than welcome.

Sorry to the list about the imminent advertising of our stuff, we hope
to have the porting of our C++ lib to C being finished soon ( reading
the EBML base elements seems to work now ), so that BBB could start
making a Gstreamer plugin for matroska and you guys can start using it.

Regards

Christian

P.S. I forgot to inform this list that our C++ lib was 'officially'
released to developers last weekend