[gst-devel] changes for 0.6.1

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Sun Mar 30 15:24:19 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 01:11, David I. Lehn wrote:
> * Wim Taymans <wim.taymans at chello.be> [20030330 17:53]:
> > API/ABI compatible
> >  - new element: gstshaper (*)
> >  - gthread based cothread wrapper (*)
> > API change (addition)
> > ---------------------
> >  - gst_bin_remove_many added
> >  - element locked state flag + gstbin 2 line patch.
> >  - default scheduler name as a #define in gstscheduler.h
> > I propose to include all API additions and the changes marked with (*).
>
> What is the GNOME policy on adding new API/ABI during a release cycle?
> Apps using _new_ 0.6.1 stuff won't work with 0.6.0 libs.  Which I think
> means libtool versioning adjustments are needed?  Would it be better to
> keep 0.6.x as _only_ bug fix release?

Hmm, yes, 0.6.1 apps on a 0.6.0 lib will not work when add new function
and I'm quite sure that's not the allowed by the GNOME policy. Let's
drop the API additions from this list, we'll have some more freedom with
0.7.0.

> Maybe this whole point is silly.  Apps might have to depend on 0.6.1+
> anyway because of bug fixes that prevent the app from working with
> 0.6.0.  Such an annoying situation for a young API...

That argument goes for any lib that does bugfix releases, so I'm not too
bothered with it.

Wim