[gst-devel] Streaming only text

Magnus Bergman magnus.bergman at observer.net
Fri May 2 06:02:25 CEST 2003

I am in need of a plug-in-based framework for streaming only text. I have the intention of writing every plug-in myself, if needed. Is there any major reason why gstreamer may not be suitable for this kind of application? Some potential reasons I could think of:

1) I suppose gstreamer is optimized for streaming a few large files. How will if perform with a lot of small files (let's say a few thousand 4k text files)?

2) I understand that streaming audio and video requires timing. But how about just stream as fast as possible (which has to be useful for media conversion too)?

3) In some cases it would be useful (for me) to use other char-sets than UTF-8 (it would be a waste of time to convert to UTF-8 and then back again). I read something about gstreamer only supporting UTF-8. The question is, can text buffers have a field telling about the encoding?