[gst-devel] divxenc testing

Ronald Bultje R.S.Bultje at pharm.uu.nl
Wed May 7 01:00:02 CEST 2003

Hey Joshua,

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 06:19, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> Before i write a bunch of code that we have to throw away in a few
> months, can you give me some clue what the "correct" solution
> should look like?

The correct solution is to keep the xvid caps - that's enough info to
know what we're doing. avimux needs to understand it and fill out the
internal structs based on that, just like it already does for
video/jpeg. The next step is to do the same to avidemux, so that it can
connect to xviddec.

(the proper fourccs are 'XVID' (default) and 'xvid').

> i took a quick look at xvidenc & avimux this morning.  It looks like
> avimux only needs a handful of caps (less than 10).  Should i just
> add another branch in avimux to read the caps from xvid?  Or should
> i harmonize the caps across the upstream elements (change xvid
> to match v4l or somesuch)?

Do the first, that's (long-term) the best solution. There's some minor
nitpicking to do there (xvid is also mpeg-4, so divx5 and xvid are
essentially interchangeable - however, you'd rather want to use divxdec
for divx decoding and xviddec for xvid decoding, so we need to find some
cluefull way of implementing this). That's not for now, though.

Ronald