[gst-devel] NMM

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Nov 3 06:13:09 CET 2003

Hi Marco,

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 14:46, Marco Lohse wrote:
> > Looks like it is, and I didn't find any mentions of typefinding /
> > autoplugging on their site, however there are examples of explicitly
> > requesting plugins by filenames - not very promising.
> You can request a plugin by specifying the name of the plugin, the type
> of the plugin (e.g. "converter), a (subset) of the supported
> input/output formats, or the supported interfaces. The nice thing: you
> only need to specify what you need (e.g. only the interface "ITV" and
> type "source" for some plugin for receiving TV), the registry will
> provide a list of all "matching" plug-ins you can chose from.

I don't think you got the point here. Typefinding is the process where I
give a stream of bytes/data, and the media type is automatically
detected without having to specify anything from the user. Note that
since I'm talking about streams, not files, file extensions or anything
won't work. Also note that since I know nothing of the stream, I cannot
request any plugin, this has to be 100% automated. :).

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. :). Is this a university project or
do you have a wider range of developers? Your website mostly mentions
university (Saarlandes) people working on it.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer