[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] dschleef gst-plugins: gst-plugins/gst-libs/gst/video/

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Nov 6 20:53:21 CET 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:36:53PM -0800, David Schleef wrote:
> CVS Root:       /cvsroot/gstreamer
> Module:         gst-plugins
> Changes by:     dschleef
> Date:           Thu Nov 06 2003  20:36:53 PST
>
> Log message:
> Don't set the actual video size in gst_video_sink_got_video_size().
> This could probably be replaced once we handle pixel aspect ratios.
>
> Modified files:
>     gst-libs/gst/video: gstvideosink.c

I didn't really know what to do here, so I punted and changed the
fewest number of lines.  This was causing a number of subtle
problems in xvideosink.  Arguably, xvideosink is some pretty
crappy code at this point, but it points to a problem in videosink.

Videosink should be (potentially) keeping track of 3 different
sizes: 1) the size of the actual video stream, in number of pixels,
2) the size of the recommended image size (this is the video size
adjusted by the aspect ratio of the pixels), and 3) the size of
the on-screen image/window.  Size 1 and 2 should always be under
the control of the element, since it's directly copied from the
video stream, and 3 should always be under the control of the
application.

Note also that we may want to separate 3 into the actual image size
and the actual size of the enclosing window, since they may be
different.  Also, there's the issue of tying 2 and 3 together, to
get window size changes to cause a caps renegotiation, but that
may still be for a later discussion.

Company: btw, this should solve your flickering problem.

dave...